Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:42:20 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        AN <andy@neu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CUPS printing problem

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 10:04:45PM +0000, AN wrote:
> I am having a problem printing from CUPS.  I did a fresh install on 6.2=
=20
> release and cups-1.2.7.  I am trying to configure for an HP1022.  The=20
> install was successful, and I can manage the printer from the web=20
> interface.  But, when I try to print a test page, the light on the printe=
r=20
> starts flashing but nothing gets printed.  The printer admin page shows=
=20
> the following:
> Location: office
> Make and Model: HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5 CUPS v1.2
> Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
> Device URI: socket://10.0.1.222:9100
> ID  	Name  	User  	Size  	Pages  	State  	Control         State
> HP1022-1  	Test Page  	root  	18k  	Unknown 	stopped
>=20
> So, it appears that after I send the job the printer goes into "Stopped"=
=20
> state.
> I checked the logs, and there is something I don't understand.  It says:
> cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided
> What does this mean?  Where do you set authentication?  Is this the cause=
=20
> of the problem, or a symptom of something else?

One thing you need to check is the access rights to the printer device.

The device that you want to print to (e.g. /dev/lpt0) needs to belong to
the "cups" group (which should exist, along with an unprivileged user
named "cups"), and that group needs to have read/write access.

If you are using a parallel port printer, add the following to
devfs.conf(5) and reboot, or use chown/chmod to correctly set the values:

  # Give cups printer access
  own     lpt0    root:cups
  perm    lpt0    0660

If you are using for instance a USB printer, you need to add the
following to your ruleset in devfs.rules(5)and reboot, or use
chown/chmod to correctly set the values:

  add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups

HTH, Roland
--=20

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft