Date:      Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:12:55 +0300
From:      Rein Kadastik <wigry@uninet.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Four (even five) problems/queries on my FreeBSD installation

Yuan Jue wrote:

>On Friday 02 September 2005 15:45, lars.lindblad wrote:
>

>>2. During my window years (those are goodbye now! ;) I
>>bought a TwinMos 256Mb USB-memory, and FreeBSD finds an
>>umass device when I put it in my Thinkpad, but how will I
>>mount it? Can it be done?
>>

>if you never configured the kernel, the USB device should work in FB5.4
>directly.
>cd /dev and find how it is recognized by FB, say as da0 or da0s1 or something
>like this.
>Then you can mount it like this:
>mount_msdosfs /dev/da0(s1)  /mnt/usb
>gook luck!

Better check the kernel log messages, it says, which device it attached
to the USB memory. Then you use that reported device name to mount it.

>>3. Since I installed KDM I got the "Turn off
>>computer"-option in KDE, but it only runs FreeBSD to a halt,
>>not to a complete power down - how will I chance that?
>>

>anyone else know about this issue? maybe ACPI problem?

Common problem in FreeBSD: You must have "device apm0" line in kernel
(and exactly like this, nothing more, nothing less). Also
apm_enable="YES" in rc.conf
There is a thread about the problem in bsdforums.org:

http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-886.html

-- Rein