Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:57:22 -0500
From:      Bob McIsaac <bobmc@bobmc.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop speaker vs earphone

Olivier Nicole wrote:
>> I'm using Ariff Abdullah's snd_hda driver on 6.2-RC2.
>> The driver reports:
>> pcm0: <ATI SB450 High Definition Audio Controller> mem 0xc0000000-0xc0003fff
>> irq 16 at device 20.2 on pci0
>> pcm0: <HDA Codec: Realtek ALC883>
>> pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20061210_0037>
>>

> I'd tend to that that the thing that stop the speaker when you plug in
> the earphone is purely mechanical/analog electornic, it is not even at
> the digital electronic level, your OS cannot detect that an earphone
> has been pluged in, it is like your home stereo.
>
> It ust be a feature of Acer!
>
> Olivier

A headphone plugged into a speaker line would blast your ears because of
the extreme difference in sensitivity unless the jack switches in a series
resistor to reduce the level.  If you notice poor low-freq response in
your phones, that implies it is a line jack intended for an external
speaker amplifier..  -BobMc-