Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 06:46:16 -0600
From:      Support <rjn103s@mgr3.k12.mo.us>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mt erase command question

Greetins,

On Thu, 03 Feb 2000, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Feb 03), Support said:
> > I think that mt erase only erases the first fileSys on the tape.  So
> > my question is if I have 3 fileSys on the tape how do I erase all at
> > once?
>
> The standard "mt erase" is a "long" erase, which should zero out the
> entire tape.

 I was confused because the man page it says a count of 0 disables long erase,
which in by default.  So I assumed that this only cleared the 1st fileSys

So, I was wanting to understand exactly what the command:
 mt erase {count}
 actually does.  Please explain the count.

> > Thanks!
> >
> > FYI:  The reason I have to do this is the tape gets block size
> > confused sometimes (maybe once per month) and this is the only way I
> > have found to fix the tape problem:( It happens at random on
> > different boxes and tapes.  I use tar for backups.  FreeBSD 3.4 Any
> > thoughts?
>
> I've never had any problems with blocksizes on my tape drives.  When
> you say "confused", what exactly do you mean?

Well, the system starts saying media error and I discovered
the block size error when the command:  mt erase   did not fix the
problem on the tape with multiple fileSys.  I took it over to a windoz box and
it reorted block size errors during an erase from it.  I then discovered that
if I put a count on the mt erase that it as well could correct the problem.
Hence I am trying to understand the count.

 > > Richard Nelson >
> No relation. :)

Neighbors, however through FreeBSD;)

--
Richard Nelson
Try Something Without GPF's - - Not To Mention The Cost:)