Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:07:58 -0800
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
To:        Perica Veljanovski <perica@akton.com.mk>, freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: which controllers(devices) to disable in kernel?

Perica Veljanovski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought a new pc with GIGABYTE GA-K8VT800 VIA K8T800 mother board (has
> ata, sata, raid) and a SATA IBM HDD and installed FreeBSD 6.0.
>
> I'm building a custom kernel and I was wondering which
> controllers(devices) I need for my new kernel to support my motherboard
> properly?
> Is there a way to see which devices my pc uses from the GENERIC kernel?

Don't forget to read NOTES.  Some devices are not intuitively obvious.
You need SCSI to run a USB mass storage device even if you don't have a
SCSI host adapter.

dmesg like the other fellow said.  There is one caveat.  If you have
some obscure hardware it may not show in dmesg output because it was
never built into GENERIC.  For this hardware you might look at the chips
on the mainboard or in the hardware manual.  You the take the chip's
identifier (for lack of a better word) and grep the kernel config files
to find the right driver.

And oh yeah, you could use these docs:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/hardware-i386.html

But that's less adventurous.