Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 15:22:30 -0400
From:      Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Printer To Get - Postscript

Chris Dillon wrote:

> Yup... but for $500 i kind of wish I looked at one of those Epson
> printers.  Especially if I had waited about 2 months and bought one of
> their 1440dpi printers for $100 less.  BUT, I think the main reason I
> bought this HP printer over any other is, well, it's from HP. ;>
> I've never once had any major problems with their printers, especially
> their lasers.

Do you replace the Epson print head when you replace the ink
cartridge(s)?  One of the reasons I like the HP's is that a serious
ink clog can be fixed by simply replacing the offending cartridge.  If
the head is permanent, clearing any ink clog might be very difficult,
especially at 1440 dpi.  Incidentally, the only time I have had a clog
with the 855 was when I printed to a transparency with the printer in
plain paper mode.  It was literally shovelling ink back and forth across
the page by the end of the print.  I simply removed the ink cartridge
and carefully removed the ink blobs with a lint free cloth and  it was
working again.  If I had damaged the head cleaning it I was glad to know
I could just go to the nearest office supply and replace it.
--
It's not my fault!  It's some guy named "General Protection"!
--Ratbert