Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:42:28 -0400
From:      Brian McCann <bjmccann@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup/Restore

I have the case where a new file is created about every second or two,
nothing gets changed, but files get deleted occasionally (it's a mail
server).  I thought of using tar, but it would be just as slow as dump
I would think.  I've thought of breaking it up into chunks, but that
still doesn't solve my speed issue...i'm beginning to consider using
dd since it reads the actual disk bits, and just hope that a)I don't
ever need one file and b) the system I restore to has at least or more
space then the original server.  Any other thoughts anyone?

Thanks again,
--Brian