Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:25:02 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange pkg_info error message - what's wrong with it?

Joey: See my post of a few minutes ago.... I never had any such
interruption, but had the identical problem on 4 separate boxes. In my
earlier post about the problem with samba, I show my solution. Delete the
port and recvsup.

At 05:38 PM 2.6.2002 -0800, Joey Garcia wrote:

>Woops, forgot to mention that after the cvsup I had to rebuild autoconf.
>See, the problem is that I guess it didn't completely register because it
>got powered off and therefore /var/db/pkg/autoconf213 was empty and that's
>why pkg_info couldn't read the +CONTENTS file. Okay, problem solved.
>
>On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Joey Garcia wrote:
>

>> Okay, so I cvsup'd my ports tree and the messages went away. Interesting.
>> Anyways, I think what happened was that someone in my department cut the
>> power to the machine when I was building some ports and it probably
>> screwed something up. I didn't realize this until I actually went to the
>> machine and turned on the monitor and saw that it had just finished
>> booting. I was like wtf?!? Anyways, there's no more messages. But, if it
>> happens to someone then at least this will be archived to help those out
>> in the future.
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Joey Garcia wrote:
>>

>> > Okay, so I noticed that pkg_info is giving me a weird error message.
Here
>> > is some output and an example of usage and the message that I get.
>> >
>> > [3:59pm] bear@ircla (~) # pkg_info -Ia | grep ethereal
>> > pkg_info: unable to open +CONTENTS file
>> > ethereal-0.9.1      An X11/GTK network analyzer/capture tool
>> >
>> > The second line after the actual command invocation gives a message
>> > concerning the +CONTENTS file. I assumed that was the +CONTENTS file
>> > located for each package in /var/db/pkg. I'm not sure why it's giving me
>> > that error.
>> >
>> > This machine has been upgraded from 4.3-RELEASE to 4.5-RELEASE just the
>> > other day. I've also taken the liberty of going into
>> > /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install and issuing a make install to try to
>> > reinstall the pkg_* utilities.
>> >
>> > Not sure what other information to give you, but if you need more just
ask
>> > and I'll be happy to respond.
>> >
>> > Joseph Garcia

>> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"