Date:      Wed, 21 May 2003 14:01:27 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
Cc:        muc-lists-freebsd-stable@moderators.muc.de
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RELEASE --> cannot build any Mozilla Version

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 10:32:27PM +0200, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>
> >On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 04:18:59PM +0200, Christian Koch wrote:
> >>I am running FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE-p7 and cannot build any Mozilla version
> >>from ports.
> >>The build exits for all versions at the same point. A source file called
> >>jsdtoa.c.
> >
> >A compiler bug. Drop the optimization to plain -O and you should
> >be fine.
>
> Hmm, I built mine with -O2 -mpentiumpro and it worked ok; which options
> exactly trigger the bug?

Dunno. Plain -O2 may be the cause. Adding -mpentiumpro may avoid
the bug. I don't really care which combination of compiler, compiler
version, compilation options, preprocessor directives, source code
and OS headers work or don't work. The bottomline is that it's a
compiler bug and it should be discussed on one of their lists.
Preferrably resulting in a PR (filed against gcc of course) so that
they can fix it.

The only exception to the above is when the optimization level
changes the behaviour of gcc in such a way that it triggers a
FreeBSD bug. Odds are against it, but we cannot rule this out.