Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 07:50:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/36133: djbdns-ipv6 port version numbering is broken

The following reply was made to PR ports/36133; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: Peter van Dijk <peter@dataloss.nl>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:44:38 +0200

 --w7PDEPdKQumQfZlR

 On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 12:55:22PM -0000, Peter van Dijk wrote:
 >=20
 > >Number:         36133
 > >Category:       ports
 > >Synopsis:       djbdns-ipv6 port version numbering is broken
 > >Originator:     Peter van Dijk
 >=20
 > ports tree cvsupped about 30 minutes ago :)
 >=20
 >=20
 > When installing the djbdns port with WITH_IPV6 set, it installs itself
 > as 'djbdns-ipv6-1.05.b11_2'. pkg_version, however, thinks that the
 > port itself has -1.05_2 and considers this to be newer (pkg_version -c
 > snippet):
 >=20
 > #  djbdns-ipv6
 > #  needs updating (port has 1.05_2)
 > #
 > cd /usr/ports/net/djbdns
 > make clean && make && pkg_delete -f djbdns-ipv6-1.05.b11_2

 Yep, I know.  Of course, you can avoid it by placing a WITH_IPV6=3Dyes
 in the environment of the pkg_version process :)

 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >=20
 > Install djbdns port with WITH_IPV6, then ask pkg_version about versions.
 >=20
 > >Fix:
 > Put the b11 behind the _2, perhaps?

 Impossible - the _2 comes from PORTREVISION, the .b11 is part of
 PORTVERSION; PORTREVISION and PORTEPOCH are tackled at the end of
 PKGNAME and are unconditionally placed after PORTVERSION.

 The real fix (well, maybe a workaround for pkg_version(1)) is to invoke
 pkg_version(1) with the same environment settings used in building the
 port.

 <plug>

 This can be achieved in a simple way by using a patch to make(1)
 making it invoke an environment processor for selected directories; one
 way to do it is install the sysutils/penv port, then run:

 $ cd /usr/ports/net/djbdns
 $ penv -c mkdir
 $ penv -S WITH_IPV6=3Dyes
 $ MAKEENVPROC=3D'penv -L'; MAKEENVDIR=3D/ports/; export MAKEENVPROC MAKEENV=
 DIR
 $ pkg_version

 The patch to make make(1) invoke MAKEENVPROC for the directories
 matching MAKEENVDIR may be found at:

 http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/bsd/makeenvproc.patch

 </plug>

 Of course, another way would be to avoid pkg_version(1) and use
 portupgrade's portversion(1) or similar utility, which (I think) may be
 configured so as to keep track of env var settings when determining the
 package name or port version.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --=20
 Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
 If the meanings of 'true' and 'false' were switched, then this sentence wou=
 ldn't be false.

 --w7PDEPdKQumQfZlR

 --w7PDEPdKQumQfZlR--