Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 23:02:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        xiyuan qian <xiyuan@npc.haplink.co.cn>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org, steve@cioe.com
Subject:   Re: Upgrade my system

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, xiyuan qian wrote:

> Hi, I am going to upgrade my system FreeBSD2.1.0 to 2.1.5, but I do need
> some help on that.  1. Do I need download all the files of 2.1.5 as my
> setting up with 2.0.5?
> 2. I have upto 300 users in my 2.0.5, how can I convert them to the new
> system, I mean, especially the password or some more important file?

I just ran the 'upgrade' procedure in sysinstall.  Here is my handy-dandy
guide to upgrading 2.1 -> 2.1.5 using sysinstall:

Quick checklist:

1)  BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC.  IT __WILL__ BE HOSED!!!

2)  Boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow the prompts.
Make sure you MOUNT your filesystems and not NEWFS them.  Select the same
distributions you did originally (but you can skip XFree86 if you
installed it from 2.1.0 -- there are no changes) and any you wish to add.

3)  Hit 'commit'.  Take note of the modified files.

4)  When you're dumped to a shell prompt:

	.  Copy services back from your backup /etc.  It's three lines
 	   long now :(

	.  Edit sysconfig and re-config from scratch using your old one as
	   a guide.  It's changed a bunch this time around and it's too
	   much pain to hack in the new changes.

	.  Migrate any changes you made to rc.local.  Note that httpd is
	   no longer started from sysconfig.

5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.