Date:      Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:34:50 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Eduardo Morras <nec556@retena.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [rfc] replacing /boot/kernel.old with a unique directory name

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 12:12:11PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 8/14/11 3:27 AM, Eduardo Morras wrote:
> > At 22:06 13/08/2011, Steven Hartland wrote:
> >> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander Best"=20
> >> <arundel@freebsd.org>

> >> The default size of / is likely your biggest problem.
> >
> > Don't know how much compresable is /boot/kernel.old but tar with -z=20
> > or -j may be a workaround. We can extract on demand and swap current=20
> > /boot/kernel  with new /boot/kernel. Other way of do it is link=20
> > /boot/kernel  to current kernel and update it, but i don't know=20
> > (again) if it would work in single user mode.
>=20
> What would make more sense to me for thsi would be a kernel name that=20
> was recognised by teh final boot stages as being an exeprimental=20
> kernel and moved to the new location only on successful boot..  Once=20
> you have successfully booted it, then you delete the kernel[-1] and do=20
> the replacement that "make installkernel" now does.
>=20

All is fine and dandy  with all of these suggestions but has the root
filesystem space been bumped up at all yet ?

The root filesystem space is merely almost adequte for what we have
now... just barely and until it is none of these are feasable especially
for existing systems.

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7--