Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:09:46 -0800
From:      "Octavian Hornoiu" <octavian@hacknslash.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   kernel compile options/info for 4.9/5.2.1

I have several questions for the gurus out there relating to compiling
my own kernel.  I have been making my own kernel since I first started
using FreeBSD back in 4.5 but I want to get more in-depth with the
process.

My questions are:

- What are ALL of the different make options/switches for the actual
kernel build besides -j4 and specifying your kernel configuration name?
Are there any tricks or useful switches?
- How does one compile a 4.9 kernel without sound at all?  I mean NO
sound, I run servers and I don't want even the modules, can I turn
compilation off on them so it compiles faster?  How about USB and
Firewire?
- Is there a new process for compiling a kernel on 5.2.1 and how is this
accomplished?  I have not been able to find documentation on this topic
and I've noticed some new directories and a makefile in the new conf
folder.  Can someone enlighten me?

Please CC me on any replies as I am not currently on the list.

Thanks!

Octavian