Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 21:24:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@zip.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Subject:   Re: GUS errors

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Sue Blake wrote:

> When I use my Gravis Ultrasound 3.7x I get the following error message:
> isa_dmastart: channel 7 busy
> repeated over and over.
>
> Same thing before and after upgrading 2.2.1 to 2.2.2, and with trying
> several different drq and irq settings in the kernel.
> Looked under BOOT: -c thingy, didn't see conflict. (Are there better
> methods?) Currently the kernel has
> device gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 12 drq 7 vector gusintr

It means nothing.  You can go into /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/isa.c (?) and
kill the printf if it bugs you.  This has been incorporated into the
system, and should have made it into 2.2.2 if you remembered to rebuild
your kernel.

> Apart from that it seems to work, playing every kind of sound file
> (except midi) but sometimes rather jerkily. The card works perfectly
> under DOS/Win3.1/Warp4. It is possible that my motherboard uses
> drq 1 (Soundblaster default for GUS) but I have no idea how to check these
> things.

At least with the GUS PnP, the DOS setup utility checks the settings to
make sure they're available.

> Bonus question on MIDI setup:
>
> How can I get midis to play audibly? I think the card and I need to come
> to some agreement regarding patches, eg, playmidi itself works
> beautifully, sits there and "plays" the tune but the card ignores it in a
> polite and friendly manner. Where/how does the gus look for its patches in
> FreeBSD?

At least with the GUS PnP (I realize you have a basic GUS but...), the
patches came on a CDROM which had to be installed under DOS.  Then you
copy the patches over to /dos/ultrasnd/midi and playmidi will pick them up
and load them.

Of course, you have to have as much memory as you can pack on the card
(1mb on the old GUSs I think).

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo