Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:11:00 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Lockless <lockless@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to contribute to the pkg_* tools project ?

Quoting Lockless <lockless@wanadoo.fr> (from Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:30:19 +0100=
):

> We (Lucas <Bobby> H. and Alexandre <Lock> C.) are two young students
> from France. We have a quite good theoretical knowledge of C
> programing, but we would like to improve our experience in real
> projects. So we looked at the Projects Ideas on the FreeBSD website,
> and finally found out that contributing to the pkg_* tools could be
> great, but there was no e-mail to contact on the page.
> So who could we contact to get more informations about this project ?

It is ports related, so the mailinglist dealing with ports (CCed, =20
please strip hackers@ on reply) would be the most appropriate, as =20
there are the most people which may be able to contribute with =20
improvement ideas.

Basically the entry on the ideas list says to have a look at the code =20
and find stuff which can be improved. Be creative. Profile the tools =20
and try to make them faster. Have a look at the code and try to make =20
it better (maybe there's stuff which should be put into a library and =20
used in all pkg tools). Google around for stuff other people may have =20
done or may want to see.

Don't let people lurk you into making a replacement for portupgrade =20
(it may be a goal for the second or third project you want to tackle). =20
For what you want to do this may be a little bit too early. First get =20
a grasp at the existing features and improve them.

An upcomming entry on the ideas list talks about the use of berkeley =20
db in the pkg tools (where it makes sense). This was submitted by =20
kris@ (a member of portmgr@), so feel free to talk with him (but he =20
reads ports@, so talking about it on ports@ will not only give you =20
input from Kris, but also from other people).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Hideously disfigured by an ancient Indian curse?

=09=09WE CAN HELP!

Call (511) 338-0959 for an immediate appointment.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137