Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:39:05 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>, Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit ethernet -- what am I doing wrong?

> Oh, Don't worry I know that there are people on this list that know the answer
> that you have suggested --- for instance just take a peek at
> http://www.juniper.net those guys operate in the giga packet per second  range
> of course if we want to know what they are doing we may have
> to resort to Mediaval Spanish Inquisition style of interrogation 8)

The FreeBSD part of the Juniper M40 is not at all involved in the packet
forwarding function, other than computing routing tables for the, er..,
very interesting hardware.  PCI bus bandwidth is just not an issue in
this application at all.  The FreeBSD part of the juniper router has a
an Ethernet interface on it for management and control purposes;
it's primary job is to run the routing protocols.

As far as performance, it's just not meaninful to talk about packets
per second and the like.  The only important measure is "wire-speed
forwarding performance on all interfaces all the time regardless of
packet size."  On a box with 8 OC-48c interfaces (2.4 Gb/s, full duplex),
this sure doesn't involve a bunch of boards on a PCI bus.

louie