Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:39:22 -0700
From:      Samuel Chow <cyschow@shaw.ca>
To:        Joshua Lokken <inspector.us@omicnet.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Newbies@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UNIX Mail help

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Lokken" <inspector.us@omicnet.com>

> >     1) understand there are many pieces to the puzzle.  DNS,
> >         SMTP, POP3, and IMAP are all protocols used in
> >         various stages during mail delivery (I am talking
> >         about the user actually see the mail in the client).
> >

> Ok, here's one point that's got me hung up.  I receive my IP
> dynamically (DHCP).  For web resolution I use ZoneEdit, since
> technically I am not "allowed" to host these services
> independently, so setting up proper MX records with ZoneEdit is
> essential, correct?

    I am not familiar with ZoneEdit, but a quick peek to me
    seems to be a DNS hosting kind of thing.  In that case,
    yes, you have to have a MX record with your domain,
    assuming you have a domain.

> Also, is the ISP 'correct' in telling me that I cannot manage
> DNS for my own domain?  Can I 'override' that directive safely?

    To run your own DNS, you have to have 2 separate static IP
    address.  Since you use DHCP, your cannot run it on your
    own box.

> >     2) understand there are more than 1 way to store mail
> >         on the server: mbox, Maildir are all mailbox formats,
> >         and you get to choose exactly one.
>
> While I've read there are advantages to the Maildir format,
> I'd like to keep the [default] format that my systems (all
> FreeBSD) come with out of the box.  Is this easier/more
> difficult, or [in]advisable?

    I use Maildir because I use qmail, and it only supports
    Maildir.  Sometime you are stuck because of your choice
    of MTA (mail transport agent).

> >     3) understand how your ISP do mail, and decide how much
> >         you want to leverage their infrastructure.
> >

> For my own sense of security/sanity, I'd like to try to keep
> this as IDP-independent as possible.  But, understanding my ISPs
> mail infrastructure can't be bad, in any case...

    You have your limitations on what you can do.  For example,
    since you are on DHCP, you do not get mail once your IP
    is changed and your MX record hasn't been changed.  Is
    that something you want?

    Another example is my reverse DNS does not always work, and
    guess what?  I can't deliver mail to freebsd.org during
    those time.  So what I do is to setup qmail with a static
    route with freebsd.org domain to go to my ISP.

    Choices like that cannot be made until you understand what
    your limitations are and what your ISP can do.  That's what
    I meant.

---
Samuel Chow
cyschow@shaw.ca

This message is displayed using recycled electrons.
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)