Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:32:19 +0000
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS and resolv.conf

Dear Michael,

Thank you. I am sorry not to have replied sooner, only that I have been
occupied with quite other matters since yesterday. Last night I read
Chapter 6 of the DNS/BIND book again which deals specifically with the
resolver. It is not a simple process and will take me a little more time
to work through this in detail.

What is interesting is that the problem of appending the local domain
name to an already fully qualified domain name is covered in the section
on "Search Lists". With our current configuration, DNS does not appear
to know where to look and, before the process fails, it appends the
local domain name in a last ditch attempt to return a valid response.
However, this does not entirely explain why the DNS logs show perhaps 3
or 4 lookups for the correct name (eg; some.other.domain) and only then
an entry for some.other.domain.at.home. Why, when connected to the net,
do the original ones fail is my immediate question? This points to a
failure of the DNS, not the resolver...

I will ask myself this question again when I have reinstated the
forwarders.

Today there are some other items of work I really must complete, so it
will be the weekend before I can sit down and think about DNS again - at
which point I hope to respond fully to your analysis and suggestions.

In the meantime, good look with your wrapper script - I shall certainly
be very interested to see how it works.

My sincere best wishes,

Ric