Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 15:58:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        CerealMaN <ekidd@email.msn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xfree86

Howdy again,

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, CerealMaN wrote:
> Can someone tell me a few of the simple commands in Xfree86 3.3.1. such as
> how to change the font, or the background or anything that is very cool...

There's nothing native (that I recall) that can set the background to
anything other than a color.  If you have pixmaps or gifs/jpegs xli or xv
will allow you to set the background.  This should be done in your
.(windowmanagerrc) or maybe even a .xsession/.xinitrc.  I always do this
from the window manager rc file - for instance from my .steprc (for
AfterStep):

Exec   "I"     exec xv -root -quit -rmode 0 background_pics/f50front.jpg

You wouldn't use all of this unless you're using AfterStep-1.0 (things
have changed in the later versions).  You could probably (I can't recall
now) just use the part w/xv and on.  You'll need to install either xv or
xli - go to /usr/ports/graphics and do a make install on one of them.

xfontsel allows you to choose fonts.

Brett

Brett Taylor 		brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/