Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 15:17:13 -0400
From:      Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Antoine_Beaupr=E9?= <antoine@usw4.freebsd.org>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.org, Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   internationalisation work can now begin (Re: cvs commit: www progress.html)

My apologies to the project and Alexey,

After stumbling upon setlocale(3), I found a reference to catopen(3) and=20=

childs, and finally figured out there is plenty of message catalog=20
support in FreeBSD (we don't need a gettext substitute, we already have=20=

one!).

So we can start translation of the libh output.

This will not be easy, but I think it will be a good thing. I will start=20=

taking a look at how to do this soon, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm=20=

a taker.

One of the first things to do would be to create a _() macro that would=20=

use catgets() to return messages wherever necessary, and that might=20
include the .cd.cc files which undoubtedly cause a big translation=20
problem.

Same for any TCL script.

Also note that I don't intend to make boot floppies carry all=20
languages. :) That will have to be language-specific distros.

<sigh> I thought I had avoided that issue elegantly. ;)

A.

Le vendredi 7 juin 2002, =E0 03:07 PM, Antoine Beaupr=E9 a =E9crit :