Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2000 01:14:50 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
To:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  Oracle for Linux in FreeBSD problems?

	Sorry to bother everyone with this, but I tried a lot of different tricks
and nothing seemed to work.  After installing oracle for linux 8.0.5 under
freebsd 3.3-stable, I tried to create my own database.  (I did not let the
install make database objects for me).  After going into svrmgrl and
starting up an instance without mounting, and then creating my own DB.  I
tried running sqlplus and I got this error message.

I just ran
sqlplus and waited for the prompts.

Enter user-name: system
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-06553: PLS-213: package STANDARD not accessible

Error accessing package DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO
ERROR:
ORA-06553: PLS-213: package STANDARD not accessible

Connected to:
Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.5.1.0 - Production
With the Partitioning and Objects options
PL/SQL Release 8.0.5.1.0 - Production

SQL>

Also, for some odd reason, if I try to reinstall oracle for linux 8.0.5
with the new redhat 6.1 development port, when I run sqlplus, it says the
TNS listener is not listening (even after relinking it!).  However, if I
have the old 5.2 redhat base installed, try to install, then watch it fail
the link, then use the 6.1 port and relink manually, it works!?!?  I tried
it using two different machines.

So, basically this got me to wonder, if this is normal?  (this sqlplus
error?).  If they avoided it, can you please tell me which redhat setups
you have?  I only have the linux_base 6.1 and linux_devtools 5.2..... i
guess it's a bad idea that they are split, but I ran into problems getting
the linux_devtools 6.1 patch going.  Anyway, does it work if you have both
6.1 on base and devel?  Or am I the only one with this problem?  Thanks a
lot in advance!

-Carroll Kong