Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 15:02:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Joel Stiles <joel@ged.bio.cornell.edu>
Subject:   Maximum possible RAM with 450NX ?

Hi all,

We're in the process of writing an NSF research grant proposal in which
we'd like to ask for 4, Quad CPU Xeon's with 4GB RAM each (i.e. 16 CPU's
total in 4 machines, 4GB per machine).  We have a REAL need for this kind
of BIG memory (and, as usual, what's BIG today is small potatoes
tomorrow).  Polywell, www.polywell.com, sells just such a 450NX-based
machine, and AMI has a 450NX-based motherboard which can go to 4GB on one
board (16 DIMM slots)  with the option of a second 4GB board for a total
of 8GB!  Will FreeBSD run (or is it planned to run) on such systems and
how would it (or WinNT for that matter) access memory above the 4GB limit
of a 32bit address space?  Perhaps the memory in one 4GB chunk is
accessible on a given processor but not on the others so a Quad CPU
machine really acts more like two or several machine in the same chassis?
Any insights would be most welcome.  Please respond directly to me as I
don't monitor the -questions mail list.

Thanks,

Tom