Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:48:15 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advice on setting up a Vinum volume

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 04:26:45PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Monday,  1 February 1999 at 23:25:52 -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> > I am getting a new ultra SCSI disk. I don't have it yet but it will be
> > something between 4 and 4.5 GB. I currently have a WDC AC21600H, 1549MB
> > drive. I will be making the SCSI disk my primary disk and was trying to
> > think of ways to use my existing IDE drive. What I was thinking was to
> > take 1549MB from the SCSI disk and make a Vinum striped volume with it
> > and the IDE drive. Does any one have a feel for what the performance of
> > that setup would be?
>
> As long as you have only one drive per IDE controller, and if you can
> use DMA, performance should be acceptable.   It depends a lot on how
> you set up Vinum, of course.
>
> Greg

Thanks.

I will have the IDE drive on the first channel of the controller with an
ATAPI CDROM drive on the other channel. I hope I have the terminology
right. So, the IDE hard drive will be wd0, and the CDROM will be
wd2. The hard drive is capable of DMA.

When you say performance should be acceptable, does that imply that
performance would be better if I didn't use a Vinum striped volume? I
was considering using the striped volume for /usr/obj and /usr/ports.
--
Glenn Johnson
gljohns@bellsouth.net