Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 18:51:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        n@nectar.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Updating ports

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Seigo Tanimura wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:55:55 -0500,
>   "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com> said:
>
> >> It would also be helpful for us to (semi-)automatically update old
> >> binaries installed by ports. (I have been trying this for a couple of
> >> days)
>
> Jacques> Personally I don't want sysinstall or make world to touch my ports.
> Jacques> But a tool to do this would be great.
>
> Completely automatic update of installed ports is acutally difficult
> because we cannot get to know the language or required toolkit from
> the name of a binary. (eg emulator/wine and japanese/wine, timidity++-xaw
> and timidity++-tcltk) We can still detect and enumerate the ports that
> possibly installed old binaries, and decide which of the ports listed
> up to update.

Isn't enough information in /var/db/pkg?

Perhaps a level of redirection is needed in the dependencies? (sp?)

Something like the Debian way?
Instead of foo-1.23 being required by bar-3.34, bar should just require a
foo >1.20.

Or even bar requires an xyzzy.
xyzzy is supplied by fee
xyzzy is supplied by fie
Then the user has the option of installing fee or fie.

Leif.

(Who descrambled the message-file for Collossal adventure on his zx81
converted to cp/m many years ago...)