Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 01:59:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>, Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>, Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.sminter.com.ar>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, dscheidt@enteract.com, unicorn@blackhats.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partition Sites [was Re: ACLs]

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Andrew McNaughton wrote:

> > It was a joke, and I'll never carry on such a job... I'd rather attack to
> > monstrous task of resizing existing filesystems!!! Thing which I would
> > obviously not be able to accomplish... :)
>
> I've a pretty limited  understanding of the workings of the FreeBSD file
> system.

Neither do I..

> From that perspective it seems as though the problem mightn't
> be complex, but the debugging of any work on it would be very painful.
> Probably I'm wrong and it is  complex.

I think this is very intricate matter! Sure as hell it would be a
nightmare to debug, and I _won't_ try the beta on my HD!!! :) (This should
go to -hackers mailing list...)

> I'm curious enough to be interested in improving my understanding of how
> the filesystem works.  Is there any documentation of the layout  of the
> file system available online, or would I have to delve into the source
> to get  more information.

I really don't know about this, and I'm extremely curious about it myself!
I made some weird manipulations on my drive like growing my FBSD slice
over the Win95 one... and melting 2 BSD partitions into one, but most of
the time, this required newfs'ing some data in the making (= make
backups, which I don't have)

Anyways, I don't think that starting the 'source code quest' could be very
useful to me.. knowing not even where to start...

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I can witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home