Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:19:27 -0500
From:      Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound documentation for the snd_hda (Nvidia)

Chuck Robey wrote:
> Howard Goldstein wrote:
>>
>> snd_ad1816 works fine on my striker extreme.  Note that I'm definitely
>> not an audio connoisseur.
>>

> Well, I guess I could do that, but from what I can find, the
> snd_ad1816 driver is for the Analog Devices AD1816, which is an
> obsolete sound controller that ran the AC97 audio.  The stuff in the
> Striker Extreme has compatibility with the older AC97 stuff, but only
> at the cost of any of the hda improvements.  I would only do that if
> there was no onter course.  I went to the Intel developers site, and
> picked up a couple of good (if large) pdf's describing the HDA PCI
> register architecture.  I went to the Analog Devices site, and they
> had a fiar pdf, describing the layout of the AD1988b device, which is
> a lot of the implementation of that HDA architecture.  I can't tell
> if it's all the implementation, yet, because I haven't been able to
> locate anything on the Nvidia 680 chipset, and that might implement
> some of the sound also.  BUT, the fact that I can't find anything from
> Nvidia about what they designed for sound might mean that their entire
> implementation is the AD1988b device.
>
> Do you know more?

I'm afraid not.  I haven't had good luck with the hda driver.  After I
sent my reply I turned back to using the snd_hda driver and the old
instability I had under the 6.x release returned (symptoms: lockups
during simultaneous SATA and audio operations).  Some digging through
google suggested there were possibly issues with the interrupt handling,
arising out of the multiplexing.  Unfortunately I see it now on 7.0 as
well so I'll be falling back to it and monitoring your progress.

> Where do the developers of the HDA code hang out, on this list?  Is
> the snd_hda the current hda driver, and if so, where's the new code
> going to be?
>
> God, maybe I better let my questions lie quiet a bit.  I get too many,
> and you'll never answer any of them.

I'm not sure if snd_hda has changed since 6.X.   If you don't find
answers here you may want to try over on one of the kernel mailing
lists.  With no disrespect meant to the subscribers here (including
myself!) most of the traffic here typically regards multimedia utilities
and ports rather than kernel devices.