Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 12:40:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Claude Buisson <ubc@paris.framatome.fr>, Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FYI: GPL Linux driver for Alcatel ADSL SpeedTouch USB

As I understand it, there is a small GPLed kernel module, and a
binary-only user program that (among other things) loads the firmware.

A similar kernel module could be written for FreeBSD.  I had thought
it might be possible to run the user program under Linux emulation,
but it uses the Linux usbdevfs interface which we don't emulate.
(Anyone know how hard it would be to emulate it?)

I exchanged mail with Johan.Verrept@advalvas.be who I think wrote the
code, and he indicated he might be able to help with a FreeBSD version
of the program.  I haven't had any time to follow this up.

I am not at all enthusiastic about such not-really-free software, but
in the UK you have no choice about what ADSL modem to use (it's
installed by the phone company) and unless you want to pay £100 / month
the Alcatel Speedtouch USB is all you can get.

-- Richard