Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:34:09 -0700
From:      "Long, Scott" <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        "'Andrew Hesford'" <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ES1371 Audio

> /dev/sndstat:
> 	FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jan 26 2001 23:59:23
> 	Installed devices:
> 	pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xdf00 irq 10 (1p/1r channels duplex)
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

According to /dev/sndstat, the driver instance for that card only supports
one playback and one record channel.

> /dev/dsp1 does not work, and I can only open dsp0 in one application at
> a time.

Correct.  /dev/dsp1 implies you are trying to open the first playback
channel on the second sound card in the system.  Since I highly doubt that
you have two sound cards, this fails.  If a driver supports n number of
channels, they would be accessed via /dev/dsp0.n-1.  There are sound drivers
out there, such as the SBLive driver, that support more than one playback
and/or record channel.  I'm not familiar enough with the ES137x driver to
know whether it's the driver or the hardware that is limiting you in this
case.

> Has anybody configured their machine to use multiple dsp devices with
> this card, or to allow multiple programs to open dsp0 at the same time?

There are various sound servers that act as a proxy for the playback channel
and allow multiple apps to connect to them simulatiously.  Unfortunately,
they each require their own protocol that your sound app must be aware of.

Scott