Date:      Sun, 28 May 2006 10:59:05 -0700
From:      Aaron VanAlstine <aaronvan@comcast.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Why won't FreeBSD boot from hard drive??

I successfully loaded FreeBSD 6.0 from CD all the way until the system
reboots; however, the computer seems regard the DVD/CD as the boot hard
drive and is trying to boot from that. During boot-up it auto detects the
DVD ROM as the Pri Master, and the two HDs as 3rd and 4th Master. When it
gets to the boot-stage, I get a message =B3Reboot and Select proper Boot
device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.=B2
According to the BIOS setup utility, the 1st boot device is Intel Striped
RAID. Yet, when I restart  and hit F8 to select the BBS popup menu, it
appears that the DVD is still the boot device. I change it to the HD and
re-boot and still I get the original =B3Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" message.

The DVD/CD cable is connected to the blue primary IDE on the motherboard an=
the two HD are connected to SATA1 and SATA2. From the Main screen of the
BIOS setup utility:

-- Primary IDE Master is the NEC DVD RW.
-- Primary IDE Slave Not Detected,
-- IDE Configuration is RAID (OnBoard Serial-ATA BOOTROM is Disabled.)

Any ideas on how I can make the system boot from the hard drive instead of
trying the DVD/CD?

My hardware consists of:

ASUS P5LD2 ACPI Bios Revision 0901 motherboard
Pentium D 820 2.8 GHz dual-core
NEC ND-3550A DVD+/-RW
2 x 512 Corsair 667 DDR2 RAM
2 x 80G Western Digital SATA HD configured in RAID 0
ASUS EN6600 graphics card
Antec case
Targus keyboard
Belkin 3-button optical mouse