Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:29:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Cejka Rudolf <xcejka00@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DISKLESS and fxp0 problems

I have big problem with DISKLESS box with "Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B
Ethernet" cards. Does anybody use (successfully) this configuration?

I have one compiled kernel (2.2.X or -CURRENT: all is the same) for both
SMC cards (ed0) and EtherExpress cards (fxp0). And if I try to boot this
kernel on computer with SMC card, everything is ok. But if I try to boot
exactly the same kernel on computer with EtherExpress card, kernel stops
in BOOTP stage:

	bootpc_init: using network interface 'fxp0'
	Bootpc testing starting
	bootpc hw address is 0:aa:0:bc:af:59

and after this, I see only repeated error messages:

	BOOTP timeout for server 0xffffffff
	fxp0: device timeout

(It is possible no BOOTP packet was sent - it looks like that there is bug
in kernel in initialization stage for fxp0.)

I use "fbsdboot.exe -D kernel" command from DOS line. Note that normal
kernel on fxp0 works perfectly, why not DISKLESS?

Any suggestions? Or have I use another OS for these boxes?
Thanks.