Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:56:02 +0900
From:      "KATO Tsuguru" <tkato@prontomail.ne.jp>
To:        "shivak" <shivak@shivakaul.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sane port

> i've got a machine not running xfree86 with and epson 636 SCSI scanner.
> I heard a while back that i should use the graphics/sane port to get a
> cli to the scanner. However, it seems that sane requires gtk and
> xfree86. its not so much the ports collection that i'm confused about -
> its the actual port/program. Does sane really need gtk and x, or can a
> FLAVOR (no x11?) work for this?

Although GTK and X libraries are only used by GUI frontends,
those are required to be built at one time.

Fortunatelly, latest version of SANE is already devided to backends
and frontends (although not commited to ports-current yet). If you
really want to use SANE without GTK and X libraries, please wait for
upgrading of ports-current.

In addition, PR for upgrading graphics/sane port is available at
following URL. You can get patch file included in that PR if you want
to use it immmidiately.

KATO Tsuguru / tkato@prontomail.ne.jp

Sent by Japanese ProntoMail