Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:09:32 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bounce message processing software

Hi folks,

I've been contracted to set up a mass mailing system.  All my
investigation suggests that the sponsor is not involved in spam at all.
The list is a confirmed opt-in list, the sponsor insists that they have
never sold e-mail addresses and the white hats assure me that the
sponsor is not a known spammer.

The mass mailing system requires a bounce message processing component.
Users reqister by confirmation and the validity of their e-mail
addresses entitles them to certain services.  Bounced confirmation and
or subsequent messages indicate that they are no longer entitled to
those services.

Therefore, bounce message processing needs to be performed to capture
and report invalid e-mail addresses.

In my mind, no software could possibly handle every conceivable style of
bounce message.  However, I'm hoping that there already exists some
software that has pattern matching for the most common bounce message
styles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,
Sheldon.