Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 2015 13:33:20 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: print/texlive-texmf MASTER_SITE allows 10 ftp connections only?

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 7:09 AM, Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:28:11 +0200 Marko Cupa=C4=87 <marko.cupac@mimar.rs=
>
> wrote
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to update all the ports on my desktop via portmaster, and
> > it is stuck trying to fetch distfile of texlive-texmf:
> >
> > =3D> Attempting to fetch
> >
> ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2015/texlive-20150523-texmf.tar.xz
> > fetch:
> >
> ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2015/texlive-20150523-texmf.tar.xz=
:
> > Not logged in
> >
> > I tried to login in interactive ftp session:
> >
> > ftp> o
> > (to) ftp.tug.org
> > Connected to tug.org.
> > 220 ProFTPD 1.3.5a Server (tug) [130.225.2.178]
> > Name (ftp.tug.org:pacija): anonymous
> > 331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your passwo=
rd
> > Password:
> > 530 Sorry, the maximum number of allowed clients (10) are already
> connected.
> > ftp: Login failed
> >
> > Perhaps 10 simultaneous clients limit does not make service very
> > functional?
> You might find you get better results filing a bug for this at
> bugs.freebsd.org.
> I can imagine that hosting TextLive, given it's size, is probably
> somewhat challenging. Allowing more than 10 users would likely
> bring the data rate to a crawl. Might be time for the author to
> look into aggregating a few (source) hosting sites, and implementing
> a round-robin scheme.
>
> --Chris
> > --
> > Marko Cupa=C4=87
> > https://www.mimar.rs/

I just am wrapping up the TeXLive update and did see a couple of issues
when building from ports. First, texlive-infra has been merged into
texlive-tlmgr, so I had to delete texlive-infra, first. (pkg delete -f
texlive-infra). Due to some re-factoring of the code I also had to delete
texlive-texmf (also using "-f"). Then I updated taxlive-base and
texlive-tlmgr and re-installed texlive-mf and, finally, updated all of the
tex- ports. (The last of these is still building as I type this.)

At this point, it looks good, but it was far from smooth for me, even
beyond the entry in ports/UPDATING.

Good luck in getting all of the sources and getting it all to build.
Building TeX was a pain way back in the late 70s when I was building it on
VMS (or maybe IAS). That does not seem to have changed much in the ensuing
three and a half decades.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com