Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:15:55 +1000
From:      Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
To:        Mac Newbold <mac@macnewbold.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ripping "enhanced" audio CDs

Mac Newbold wrote:
> Today at 2:55pm, Mikhail Goriachev said:
>
>>> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD HARDWARE ERROR
>>> asc=0x08 ascq=0x01 error=0
>>> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD ILLEGAL REQUEST
>>> asc=0x64 ascq=0x00 error=0
>>> Jun 14 11:27:22 mybox last message repeated 11 times
>
>> This is an anti-piracy feature included on some discs. Nowadays there
>> are more and more protected discs around. Some of them even crash
>> computers when loading. How silly is that? Programs like CloneCD can
>> handle such things on Windows boxes. That is what I use after having
>> long frustrated sessions with open-source tools.
>
> I am pretty sure this isn't an anti-piracy feature. It happens to me
> with _any_ "enhanced CD" (audio+data mixed CD), and _only_ on enhanced
> CDs. Never has it happened to me on any non-enhanced audio CD. My
> problem is not with the inability to get the data off, that doesn't seem
> to be a real issue. The problem is with the crashing of the computer.
>
> Why should _any_ data read from a removable disk of any kind be causing
> FreeBSD to crash by the mere act of attempting to read it from the disk?
> The device is reporting a failure, but why isn't the OS handling that
> failure gracefully?
>
> If I'm asking the wrong list, and should be asking hackers@freebsd.org
> or some list related to multimedia, please let me know.

The following contains a very short and good explanation on audio disc
protections:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_protection#Copy_protection_for_audio_CDs

Also, I did not specifically mention FreeBSD or any other OSes. I just
merely said "some of them (discs) even crash computers". Not only
FreeBSDs are out there.

For example, my Mac won't accept Linkin Park's Meteora, Jack Johnson's
On and On or Missy Elliot's This is not a Test. They get spat out right
away. I tried to extract tracks off those discs on FreeBSD but I get the
very same errors you get.

My car's player goes nuts trying to play Korn's Greatest Hits Vol.1 last
track. Years ago, every time I wanted to put something onto my MD player
I had to duplicate the disc on Windows first and then put it through
Sony's "patented/protected/secure" software. Otherwise it would just
freeze on last tracks (note: some "enhanced" discs, not all of them).

Also, as Fabian said, by copying you even get better discs. I agree. I
duplicate all problematic discs so my Mac will accept them as well as my
car's player.

In short, everything depends on your hardware, software and media you're
trying to copy. The protection mainly is based on errors and faults on a
disc that try to confuse your CD drive and not your CD player. This is
where software comes into play and saves the day. Your results may vary.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg@webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B