Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:26:28 +0000
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apparently, csh programming is considered harmful.

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 00:09:41 -0700
Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:

> Hmm -- fair answer.  I was kind of thinking that on FreeBSD I should
> maybe do such work in csh as the standard shell, but it occurs to me
> that I'd probably be pretty hard-pressed to find a FreeBSD system
> without sh on it.

csh isn't the standard shell, it's just the default login shell for
root. All of the installed shell scripts are for sh, and the
sysinstall default for ordinary users is sh.

I think it's just the case that sysinstall doesn't have normal user
setup page for the root account, so it's sets a sensible default shell
for interactive use.