Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:24:17 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk bsd.port.mk

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 02:16:41AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 11:21:23AM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > > I thought you said ${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.mk could included bsd.own.=
mk
> > > directly.
>=20
> You did not answer my question.
> Also by putting more things in share/mk/bsd.port.mk the path is opened to
> migrate more and more things back to share/mk/bsd.port.mk.
>=20
Yes, there's nothing wrong if ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk includes <bsd.own.mk>.
But Bill Fenner suggested that I put this into src/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
so that version in ports/Mk can be kept FreeBSD-version independent and
currently we only _need_ to include bsd.own.mk for HEAD.

> One of the biggest problems with share/mk/bsd.port.mk was that many users
> did not want to CVSup src/ or build world.  The just wanted to cvsup
> ports.  You have added a single line to share/mk/bsd.port.mk; so I guess
> that won't cause too much problems.  But I hope the urge to add stuff to
> share/mk/bsd.port.mk can be strongly contained in the future.
>=20
That sounds reasonable at a glance, but wait!  How it is supposed to work
if ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk still depends on bsd.own.mk from src/share/mk?

> Too bad there is not a /usr/ports/UPDATING to let people know they need
> to install a new share/mk/bsd.port.mk.
>=20
Having such file would be great.

Cheers,