Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2019 16:40:57 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mini-laptop / netbook for FreeBSD

El día Monday, February 25, 2019 a las 03:10:07PM +0000, Carmel NY escribió:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 15:38:31 +0100, Matthias Apitz stated:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm using since 2015 an Acer C720 laptop/netbook which works very
> >nicely with FreeBSD (thanks to the work of Michael, cc'ed). I'm
> >looking for an successor device with more or less the same technical
> >specification:
> >
> >- 11.6" high res display (1024x768)
> >- 4 GByte RAM
> >- 2 CPU, each 1.4 GHz
> >- 256 GByte SSD
> >- Wifi (supported in CURRENT)
> >- Touchpad, USB 3.0, HDMI
> >
> >Any ideas or proposals to test? Thanks
> >
> >	matthias
>
> Why limit RAM to a measly 4GB? If it is a 64 bit machine, that is like
> the bare minimum for it to work. ...

Yes, it should be amd64 (thanks for reminder). And No, 4 GByte is really
enough. Mine has 4 GByte, runs KDE4 as desktop, with libroffice, FF
64.0, chromium, ... all fast and fine.

$ dmesg | grep -i memory
real memory  = 4301258752 (4102 MB)
avail memory = 1917239296 (1828 MB)
[drm] Got stolen memory base 0x7ca00000, size 0x2000000

Have you a real proposal to say?

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
October, 7 -- The GDR was different: Peace instead of Bundeswehr and wars, Druschba