Date:      Wed, 13 May 98 17:29:22 +0400
From:      vak@cronyx.ru
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: request for major device number

>   Also, any reaction to the comments that the Sigma driver has been
>   very poorly maintained in FreeBSD?  I'd hate to see the same thing happen
>   to the Tau driver if this is true.

The version of the Sigma driver in FreeBSD is really obsoleted.
The latest version is also always available from www.cronyx.ru,
and the users seemed to be quite happy with the situation,
that's why I did not bothered with it.

Now I am preparing both the Tau and Sigma drivers for committing
to FreeBSD-current.

Both hardware-level drivers are pretty completed and stable.
In the protocol level, which exist now as the separate module
(thanks to Joerg Wunsch) and is used by several other drivers,
there is a lot of directions for development:
multi-link PPP support, data compression, encryption,
Frame Relay protocol and so on.

The Cronyx will continue to support FreeBSD drivers
for Sigma and Tau adapters.  I am ready to take part
in any FreeBSD community activities concerning the support
of these drivers.
___
Regards,
Serge
---
Serge Vakulenko                    <vak@cronyx.ru>
Cronyx Engineering Ltd., Moscow    Digital communication hardware development,
phone/fax: +7 (095) 196-40-53      Internet services, FreeBSD support