Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:09:09 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netmap and other discussions on freebsd-net: please be open minded.

Luigi Rizzo wrote this message on Mon, May 19, 2014 at 04:28 -0400:
> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Is there a netmap list that these questions (regardless of OS) could go to?
>
> ???no there isn't one. At the moment there isn't enough traffic
> to suggest that, and creating one is likely to generate
> traffic to both the specific list and freebsd-net.

What volume of traffic do you think is acceptable for creating a
seperate list?

The last few months I believe that there is enough traffic to justify
a seperate list...  and too often the questions are not at all useful
to the FreeBSD community... If they were, I'd be more willing to
tolerate their presence, but mostly they are, I'm running Linux and
I can't be bothered to read the docs or try to figure things ous, can
you set this up for me? type emails...

> Note, the problem is not only for netmap: we have ipfw+dummynet
> which is already cross platform, and as we bring pieces of the kernel
> to userspace (see??? e.g. the various efforts related to bringing
> up the network stack) we lose the tight bind to the os.

Then maybe we need to create a special list for cross platform
projects or something, but I don't notice any traffic wrt to ipfw
or dummynet on -net...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579