Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:08:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alexander Anderson <cactoss@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   resolving localhost

Hello,
I am having weird problem with "localhost". It started yesterday when I
ran fetchmail. I got:

> fetchmail
18 messages for myself at pop.mail.yahoo.com (71499 octets).
reading message 1 of 18 (2148 octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost
failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.mail.yahoo.com
fetchmail: Query status=SMTP

I decided to check if there is a problem with "localhost" configuration on
my system by trying other programs. rsh, rlogin, ping all worked for
localhost. But telnet didn't:

> telnet localhost
localhost: No address associated with hostname

I checked /etc/hosts for the presence of aliases for localhost, made sure
/etc/host.conf has hosts than bind. I'm clueless.

I should mention that I got a screenful of "no matching session" messages
during this night. It might be related to this problem.

What is weird is that I haven't touched any of the configuration files
lately, except for /etc/rc.firewall. I compiled IPFIREWALL into the kernel
4 days ago.

Thank you for your help!