Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 18:23:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot Loader Progress...

--------------Boundary-00=_TY0SCKICC5GNTT4D7TH0

Hi.

Just wanted to report a small amount of progress on the boot loader
issues for my AS1200. I'm working with a hacked up boot loader that
has debugging added to it so I can see where the loader is failing.

I have been taking my compiled version of the boot loader and copying
it onto a boot floppy and booting from that. Here is what I found so
far...

The loader fails when it calls the "include" function to load the
file: /boot/loader.rc
I originally thought it was a problem with reading the data, but now
I believe the call to "open" in the include function in
common/interp.c is never returning. I am going to descent into the
depths of libstand to insert debugging and see if I can locate the
exact point of failure.

Does anyone have documentation on how to interface with the alpha
bios to perform low level things such as reading blocks of data? I
would like to verify that calls are being made properly.

Finally, assuming that I do get this problem fixed, is there anyone
specifically that I should be sending patches to?

-Michael