Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 05:29:12 +0200
From:      Olivier Gautherot <olivier@gautherot.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   something: DESTDIR is not a user settable variable

Hi there!

I'm hitting regularly the same problem with various ports that deinstall
properly during upgrades but won't reinstall. I had the case with firefox
this morning.

The typical message is:

    bash-2.05b$ sudo make install clean
    firefox-1.0.1.p_4: DESTDIR is not a user settable variable
    *** Error code 1

Can anyone tell me where the message is coming from and how to
overcome it? I've tried to grep "user settable" but did not find it...

For what it's worth, here is my uname -a:
    FreeBSD ogautherot.og-lan.freesurf.fr 5.2.1-RELEASE
    FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Jul  5 19:32:44 CEST 2004
    root@ogautherot.og-lan.freesurf.fr:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OG_CONF  i386

Please copy me on the reply as I'm not subscribed (can't keep up with
the traffic :-( )

Cheers
    Olivier