Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2001 18:03:24 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Jamie Jones <jamie@bishopston.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

Jamie Jones wrote:

> Isn't it the responsibility of the designer to explain that all browsers
> should work, when the code is clean ?
> None of this requires the "man in the street" to get technically savvy,
> but maybe we can gently remove some of his ignorance.

The businessman needs to get technically savvy. People who sell
automobiles know about automobiles. People who sell books know about
books. People who sell beer know about beer. It's time that people who
sell computers, software, or information services know about computers,
software and information services.

It is unreasonable for a company to support every single operating
system in existance. But it is reasonable that they support standards. A
banking site that uses standard HTML and standard CGI interfaces is
going to be accessible by any browser from IExplorer on down to Lynx.

The best solution to these types of problems is to take your business
elsewhere, -and- let them know why. Politely of course. Don't just tell
the webmaster. Tell the bank president. They won't hurt from this lost
revenue, but eventually they'll figure out that bank presidents
shouldn't be taking orders from their webmasters.

David