Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:39:38 -0700
From:      Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        Michael Jung <mikej@paymentallianceintl.com>,  "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: r269147 fails to boot after ZFS pool upgrade and new boot code installation

On 07/29/14 07:04, Michael Jung wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> The freebsd-fs was silent about this post so I'm hoping someone
> will chime in here.
>
> 10-stable r269147: Upgraded the zfs pool to 5000 and installed new
> bootcode. The system was working fine prior to upgrading the pool.
>
> NOTE:  Due to the BIOS not supporting drives > 2TB in ACHI mode
> this MB is running in legacy IDE mode.  I understand the speed
> implications of this - it is just a test box.
>
> ZFS MIRROR BOOT ada0/ada1
>
> gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ad0 gpart
> bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ad1

> unavailable ZFS: can't read object set for dataset u ZFS: can't
> open root filesystem gptzsboot: failed to mount default pool zroot
>
> FreBSD/x86 boot Default zroot: boot:
>
> I tried to recover using
>
> FreeBSD-Stable USB Live CD r268571 but could not import the pool.

The feature was merged in r268649 so this is expected.

> FreeBSD-11-Current r268622 LIVE CD (USB) imports the pool fine.
>
> Only two mirrored drives attached to onboard SATA.  Both drives
> show up in = BIOS as first two boot devices.
>
> I attempted to install the r269147 bootcode again like:
>
> # zpool import -f -N zroot # mkdir /tmp/zroot # mount -r -t zfs
> zroot/ROOT/default /tmp/zroot # gpart bootcode -b
> /tmp/zroot/boot/pmbr -p /tmp/zroot/boot/gptzfsboot -i 1= ada0 #
> gpart bootcode -b /tmp/zroot/boot/pmbr -p
> /tmp/zroot/boot/gptzfsboot -i 1= ada1
>

> but resulted in same problem.  I also tried installing 11-current
> bootcode = r268622 which also fails to boot.
>
> (I did not export the pool.  I even tried power reset after writing
> bootcod= e)

This shouldn't matter.

> gpart list/show:
>

> 34 5860533101 ada0 GPT (2.7T)
>
> 34 6 - free - (3.0K)
>
> 40 1024 1 freebsd-boot (512K)
>
> 1064 25165824 2 freebsd-swap (12G)
>
> 25166888 5835366240 3 freebsd-zfs (2.7T)
>
> 5860533128 7 - free - (3.5K)

Just a wild guess -- how much space have you used in the pool?  And
what's the exact BIOS limitation on 2TB drives?

I'm asking because the gptzfsboot stage, there is no driver present
and the system still rely on BIOS's functionality to do disk access.
If the data is located outside BIOS's reach -- there are some strange
ones of them, like 137GB, 2TiB, etc., then the gptzfsboot may not be
able to read data from the pool if it has to reach out these portion
of disk.

Note that it's generally a good idea to use a small, dedicated zfs
pool located at the beginning of disk(s) as root pool anyways.

Cheers,
- --
Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>    https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!           Live free or die