Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:28:03 -0400
From:      Rich Demanowski <richd@RichDPhoto.com>
To:        Derrick Ryalls <ryallsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Enabling sound?

Derrick Ryalls wrote:
> On 7/21/06, Rich Demanowski <richd@richdphoto.com> wrote:
>> I just dropped a SoundBlaster Live! card into my box, and have followed
>> the directions in the handbook and the man pages.
>>
>> The following lines are in the compiled kernel:
>>     device sound
>>     device snd_emu10k1
>>
>> I don't get the pcm0 lines that section 7.2.2 in the manual talks
>> about.  cat /dev/sndstat returns:
>>     FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>>     Installed devices:
>> and nothing else.
>>
>> kldload snd_emu10k1 yields no output whatsoever.  When followed by cat
>> /dev/sndstat it produces the same outputs as above.
>>
>> kld_load snd_driver yields:
>>     ppc0: parallel port not found.
>>     sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0x20
>>     sio1: port may not be enabled
>>     ppc0: parallel port not found.
>>     sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>>     sio1: port may not be enabled
>>     ppc0: parallel port not found.
>>     sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>>     sio1: port may not be enabled
>>     ppc0: parallel port not found.
>>     sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>>     sio1: port may not be enabled
>>     ppc0: parallel port not found.
>>     sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>>     sio1: port may not be enabled
>>     ppc0: parallel port not found.
>>     sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>>     sio1: port may not be enabled
>>     ppc0: parallel port not found.
>>     sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>>     sio1: port may not be enabled
>>
>> I recompiled with the sound and emu10k1 drivers commented out, and the
>> kldload and cat /dev/sndstat commands still yield the same.
>>
>> I need to get sound enabled on this box, so I can do some online
>> training provided through streaming video.  Please, please, please tell
>> me I don't have to break down and install wankers on this thing ...
>>

> I would try this:
>
> kldload snd_driver
>
> then cat /dev/sndstat to see if perhaps a different driver is needed.
> Also, you shouldn't need to recompile, just add the driver line to
> /boot/loader.conf as described in the handbook.
Could this be (part of?) the problem? --

in dmesg:
    .
    .
    .
    isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 10.0 on pci0
    .
    .
    .
    pci3: <multimedia, audio> at device 10.0 (no driver attached)

I've re-compiled my kernel yet again to remove the sio device, since
this thing has no 8250 or 16[45]50 serial ports on it, which got rid of
the error messages in dmesg I was seeing about the port not being
enabled and the IRQ not mapping.

It also has no parallel port on it -- can I remove the ppc, ppbus, lpt,
plip, and ppi devices without breaking anything else?

The only peripheral ports this thing has on it are USB2.

I'm pretty much stuck with a custom kernel on this machine, since the
wireless network I'm on requires WEP, and the wlan_wep module would need
to be loaded by hand if I went with the generic kernel and module
since both will fail at boot-time without wlan_wep.  All the wireless
stuff works just fine with ath, ath_hal, ath_rate_sample, wlan, and
wlan_wep compiled into the kernel.

The only thing I can't seem to get working is this blasted sound card.
I wouldn't even worry about it if I didn't have to do this stupid flash
based video training crap (why can't they just send me TFM so I can R
it?!?). *sigh*