Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:31:09 -0500
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Backup solutions

We've looked into some DLT tape libraries recently.. due to
our need to come up with a decent system-wide backup
solution.

I wondered what other people's experience was in this area.

Generally, I've always used good ol' reliable "dump" and "restore"
from individual machines.  However, as your server farm grows,
that approach isn't feasible (unless you love switching little 4mm tapes
or can spend $$ for lots of DLT drives).  Add to that, multi-platforms such
as Solaris, Windoze, ...

Some commercial products, like ADSM, run a daemon on a given
machine which will dump its disk drive (or what you specify) to a
remote disk drive -- then, in turn, the tape system writes that to tape.
But for a large enterprise system, you'd need a backend network at least
for that.

I'd appreciate suggestions in this area.

Thanks.