Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 05:06:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Hickum <yh2789@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH hesitation after hostmane change

> Please tell me that you have your /etc/hosts file
> and /etc/resolv.conf
> properly set, so that it is not ssh delay but rather
> a delay consequent
> upon Name Resolution.......because I do not see any
> good reason why it
> would the fast the 1st time then decide to go-slow
> again.

Well, I did do something to the hosts file in an
attempt to learn through experimentation. Because the
machine is running bind I removed all lines from the
hosts file except the one for localhost, figuring bind
is handling everything else. Everything seems to be
working just lovely, except of course ssh but read
on...

I compiled a new sshd binary and installed it and now
everything works great. I should add I also replaced
the sshd_config file in /etc/ssh/. Now I wish I had
only replaced one and checked first to see what fixed
it, but it's working.