Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2006 22:11:17 -0500
From:      "Matthew Wala" <mattwala@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-ppc Digest, Vol 153, Issue 4

> Hi Matthew,
>
> > I apologize if this has already been answered; for some reason I can't
> > search the mailing list:
> > While running under root and trying to install the gnome2-fifth-toe
> > port, my
> > system (7.0-20051206-SNAP - installed from the the "Latest 7.0 CURRENT
> ISO
> > image" on the main FreeBSD/ppc site) panics at this line:
> >
> > checking if the realpath function allows a NULL argument...
> >
> > If I remember correctly the line has something to do with configuring
> > Samba.
> > Also, prior to the kernel panic Samba configure was complaining about
> > sys/mount.h, but I don't remember exactly what was wrong.
> > Is there any way to get around this?
>
>   Not that I know of. I'm guessing you were running X at the time so
> didn't get a panic.
>
>   Would you be able to try the port install from a VTY shell without
> running X ? That should at least drop into ddb where you can issue a
> backtrace.
>
> later,
>
> Peter.

Hi Matthew,

> > I apologize if this has already been answered; for some reason I can't
> > search the mailing list:
> > While running under root and trying to install the gnome2-fifth-toe
> > port, my
> > system (7.0-20051206-SNAP - installed from the the "Latest 7.0 CURRENT
> ISO
> > image" on the main FreeBSD/ppc site) panics at this line:
> >
> > checking if the realpath function allows a NULL argument...
> >
> > If I remember correctly the line has something to do with configuring
> > Samba.
> > Also, prior to the kernel panic Samba configure was complaining about
> > sys/mount.h, but I don't remember exactly what was wrong.
> > Is there any way to get around this?
>
>   Not that I know of. I'm guessing you were running X at the time so
> didn't get a panic.
>
>   Would you be able to try the port install from a VTY shell without
> running X ? That should at least drop into ddb where you can issue a
> backtrace.
>
> later,
>
> Peter.

I can't get X running either.  I compiled it today, but got the message:
Fatal server error:
xf86MapVidMem: could not mmap screen [s=80000,a=90000000] (Invalid argument)
The thing is that I have a Mac Mini (1.25Ghz), and after searching through
the mailing list the above error seems like a ghost from the past (
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-ppc/2005-March/000946.html).
Is there any solution for it which I have (hopefully) overlooked?

(Please don't ask why I tried to install X after gnome.  I'm just a willing
newbie who is probably biting off more than he can chew.)