Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:00:15 GMT
From:      Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
To:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usb/137189: [usb][patch] create and use sysctl nodes for HID report descriptors

The following reply was made to PR usb/137189; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Cc: hselasky@c2i.net
Subject: Re: usb/137189: [usb][patch] create and use sysctl nodes for HID
 report descriptors
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:51:43 +0400

 Hans Petter, good day.

 HPS wrote:
 > Can you change your patch, so that usbhidctl uses libusb to get the
 > HID descriptor, instead of sysctl?

 I can, but how to relate the device name under devfs to the descriptor
 to be retrieved?  I can enumerate all HID descriptors via libusb, but I
 can't currently say which device uses them.  And I don't want to torture
 users with the crawl over the list of all vendor/device pairs for the
 discovered HID descriptors and ask to choose one -- that's not
 productive.

 Why do you dislike the sysctl approach?  It is simple and reliable.
 --
 Eygene