Date:      Mon, 09 May 2011 03:37:28 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firefox-4.0.1,1 crashes

Janos Dohanics wrote:

[snip]

>> > And it's not a requirement.  I've never seen that issue, or enabled
>> > the fix although firefox is my primary browser.
>>
>> These options are present in the GENERIC kernel and you probably did
>> not remove them. My guess is the OP did and never realized it. At
>> least that's how it is in Release, if Stable is different I wouldn't
>> know.
[snip]

> Actually, I build custom kernels, and I must have deleted the option
> P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES by accident.

Yes. Been there done that myself. Before Firefox 4 it didn't matter.

> FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE Release Notes says that "FreeBSD now supports POSIX
> semaphores (P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES kernel option) by default" - I should
> assume then that the option P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES has been included by
> default in all 8.x versions, correct?

Yes. A snip from GENERIC:

options 	SYSVSHM			# SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			# SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			# SYSV-style semaphores
options 	P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES	# POSIX-style semaphores
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions

Whenever a userland app gives problems it's very easy to fixate on the app
being broken, and most of the time that is indeed the case. When it's
complaining about some kind of support library or function missing, or
throwing an error, the next thing to look for is the source for the error in
whatever upstream dependency. In this particular case the location of the
complaint just happened to be something which is in the default kernel. This
is why I knew you had built a custom kernel and removed this. Like I said,
been there done that.

-Mike